Sunday 24 July 2011

York

July 18th



This morning has been busy and a tad stressful. I woke up ten to six took a shower and then went to the learning grid to print off my first two chapters so I would have them with me on the journey. I raced back to mine to eat breakfast and have my cup of tea before actually setting out, dropping by the bank to pickup come cash just in case places wouldn't accept cards. I arrived early for my bus which gave me a little extra time at the rail station which was n ice because I got a little anxious about finding my train but I took a deep breathe and found my way. The trains though were not on yime. Although I left at the right time there was a wait to get into Birmingham New Street and then I couldn't find the right platform and by the time I had gotten proper directions from two people I missed my connecting train as I was slowed up by a little old lady in front of me taking up the entire stairwell. Thankfully I caught the next train arrived only 20 minutes later than my original train.

Next stop...York!

I have to say York was a bit of a disappointment. After getting of the train I went to the York Castle Museum which I think was the best thing about York. The recreation of a Victorian street was really cool and I bought a sugar mouse. The sixties street was really good as well. I found the cardboard mercury pod amusing since I've seen the real thing at the Smithsonian. I didn't like the prison it was creepy and gave me bad vibes. The problem with me and museums is I just can't be bothered to read all the plaques. I know if I read them I might enjoy my time more but alas I don't.




After that I went to the Yorkshire Museum as I had bought a combo ticket with the castle museum which was definitely a waste. The film was good and I loved the dinosaurs but other than that it was a bit dull. The ruins outside are better and they're free! I had to race from there to find Barley hall. I got lost and had to go back to the tourist centre. I wasn't so interested in the building itself - once again I was given pages to read. What I was really excited about was the 'From Hamlet to Hollywood' exhibit. All the clothes from film that I love - including my favorite outfit that Jennifer Ehle wears in the 1995 Pride and Prejudice. Also The King;s Speech which had recordings of the speeches. The best part, besides the pride and Prejudice dress was trying on all these coll hats. Then it was off to York Minister the famed Cathedral. I couldn't do the tower tour as I had a huge bag with me but I'm glad I didn't waste the money. The crypt was bad enough! York Minister is pretty and all but it doesn't compare to Salisbury. I attended evensong but it felt wrong to be there, I was way out of my element. The service ended at six so by then I was tired and hungry - plus everything had closed. I found this place called The Graduate with somewhat friendly staff. I got fish and chips with regular peas (as in not mushy). Besides the bit of plastic I found on my peas they were amazing and I ate them all. I don't know what they did to those peas but i have never had more than a forkful. And this was a good 1/2 a cup or so. They had to bring out extra chips cause they had ran out but they weren't that good. A little underdone but the fish was AMAZING! If they had fish like that in the States I would eat it more regularly. Granted it is battered fish so it isn't good for me but I could eat this fish all the time. After dinner I tool a walk on the city walls - just like a castle. It gave some nice views. From there I found my way back tot he train station where I waited from my train which was on time. I couldn't wait to get into Newcastle and my hostel.I was super tired and my feet hurt from all the waking which was not a good sign considering that this was only my first day!

No comments:

Post a Comment