Sunday 24 July 2011

October 7th

Today was quite a nice day and marks the end of my official first week here at Warwick. I had a screening of You Only Live Once this morning, then a library seminar. That was really cool, even though working at the library I knew everything, mostly it was cool to know that the library here is based on the library of congress call system and that the software that we have is from the US so they have things listed as being check out instead of borrowed. Plus the librarian was really nice and funny. Which aren’t librarians always like that? LOL :) . After that was a really bad IT introduction. The lady was not nice and got really mad when someone said they had a mac because there is no support for mac at Warwick. It was quite harsh and the temperature in the room went down several degrees. Then I had a little bit of a break so I walked with Charlotte down to the art center but left to go check out the societies fair.

I saw the belly dancers out front performing and they were pretty good, not sure that I want to join but fun to watch all the same. I made my way to the tables and signed up for a mailing list for the English society and I had to stop by the American society that was the table next to the English table. I asked what kind of events and things they did, since they were devoid of all pamphlets. Their response was Thanksgiving dinner, beer pong and getting drunk. I think getting drunk was their main selling point, which a lot of these societies seem to bring up well really everyone is about drinking which is weird because I’m used to dry campuses. Anyways, I turned down the American society the drunk thing didn’t help but what really killed it for me was the picture of George W. Bush on the American flag. I just couldn’t sign up for that.

I left the society fair and headed back to my second home, Milburn House for the training on projection and steenbeck. That was really cool. We got to look at 35mm and 16mm film and actually thread it through the machine. The movies we watch are mostly on 35mm so it was cool to actually see and touch real film. So different from digital. The steenbeck is basically an old fashion editing machine. It was a nice training session and experience.I also finally got my phone to work so I’ve got everyone’s number and they have mine. God forbid one of them actually tries to call me.

I walked with Andy and Charlotte back to main campus but by the time we had got back the society fair was over. I left them to go to a taster session for street vibe. I was really nervous at first but it was really fun. I followed the dance pretty well. It’s sort of a hip hop style which normally I’m not that good at but its just that much more challenging for me. I really think that 1 hour of class has been the best hour so far for me. I’m thinking this might be the society for me but it is expensive so I have to weight my options.

What I am joining, mainly because it’s free and is film related is the Digital Cinema Club. Every Thursday and 7 in Milburn House we watch a film and then we’re suppose to discuss it afterwards. I skipped out on the discussion bit but watched “Me and Orson Wells.” It was pretty good, not spectacular but an enjoyable film.
That was it. Tomorrow I’ve got a light day, nothing that I have to do. A trip to the library to work on this essay for Textual Analysis and some more taster sessions and laundry or else I’ll have no clothes left. (if I could do a worried smiley face here I would) It’s the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment