Sunday 24 July 2011

October 5th

Today marked the first day of classes and the sort of introductory meeting. I was surprised my how few people are in my class. I guess I’m used to the 30 people per class that the 10 people is kinda freaking me out. :) There are two other Americans, one doing the MA taught degree which is the same as mine and one doing the PhD. But they’re both from Massachusetts so do East Coasters really count? After the introductory meeting we had a little buffet and mingled with everyone. I swear these people over here are obsessed with mingling! I’m not sure how much more mingling I can take. But we got to meet a lot of the professors and everyone was really excited because they’ve read their work in previous classes. I however, have never heard of these people. Another dig for the US education system. I did get to talk about Doctor Who to another PhD student without Charlotte there so that was really nice.  People who know Doctor Who!!!

After the buffet and mingle we had time before our class start so these girls decided to go for a walk and I reluctantly joined them. They walked through the muddy grass and I was just like why? I’m a cement kind of a girl. I don’t go outside unless I have to and I walk with a purpose from point A to Point B so I was not in the best of moods. And of course I was worried about being late. We made it back with plenty of time.
Today’s class was Textual Analysis and Film Style with Victor Perkins. Basically we are extracting meaning from photos or film. looking at the things that are present in the frame and noticing what is not there we can understand the meaning of the image better. I’ve taken a class like this at U of O so I understand what was going on even though I wasn’t able to get the book that we were suppose to have for class that day. What a great way to start out the day right?

After class I made my way up to Tesco to get something that I could cook in the microwave keeping in mind my disaster in the kitchen yesterday. As I was leaving I ran into a girl from class and her friends so I walked home with them. All Asian with me as the lonely white girl. I haven’t felt that out of place since India. Although there was one other person who wasn’t Indian so I had a leg up when they started talking in Hindi. I was introduced to one girl I’ve been hearing about who likes Bollywood but our conversation was short lived, she’s not a fan of Abhishek Bachchan. I made it back home, made nachos for dinner and watched an episode of “Life on Mars” with John Simm’s (Who’s from Doctor Who) That one of the PhD students recommended to me. I’ve only seen the one episode but it’s going on my list that is ever growing.

I’ve also been trying to handwash my clothes because it’s about $5 for one complete load but I might have to break down and pay the $5 because I’m running about of clothes and drying is taking forever! It took literally 2 days for my socks to dry! Only my socks! Can my student loans come through please, I’m spending all my savings. But I really did need that Brita, the water is 100% better. Before it was like drinking Eugene water, not good.

No comments:

Post a Comment