Sunday 24 July 2011

October 3rd and 4th

Sunday was rainy but I still made it to Ikea which I was really glad I went. I managed to get on the same bus as Charlotte with no major problems. We started with food which was really good, spinach and cheese pancakes. I couldn’t help but notice the wide range of Swedish items on the menu and I wondered about them until I remembered that Ikea is a Swedish company. I felt a little stupid. We went through the showrooms which was neat but then went down into the fun part where we got to pick up things. I got a nice little set of saucepots, a block of knives, a set of cutting boards and some other things I had needed to get. I couldn’t get everything I wanted so I might have to go back but seeing as Ikea is in Coventry I don’t really mind. :)


We went into the mall and visited the pound shop where everything is a pound. Amazing shop with some pretty good items there like a large tube of toothpaste! And then it was time to find the bus stop, Charlotte isn’t much of a shopper. We took the long way round. Cities like Coventry are medieval towns so they have what are called “ring roads” meaning cars drive around the city where fortified walls used to be slowly making their way to the center. It’s nice because it’s easy to find your way around and eventually you get to where you want to go. Got on the bus and I came back to campus. I didn’t really do much else on Sunday, just hung around my flat.

Monday(today) I had a few things to do but all I really wanted to do was sleep in. When I finally manage to tear myself away from my bed I made my way to the University House in order to get a replacement card for the one I had lost. We had to fill out this form and I didn’t feel that bad because there was a large amount of people waiting to do the same thing as me. However on the form you needed your University ID number which I have been unable to memorize so I had to go back to my flat. Mind you I haven’t been feeling that great and have been finding it hard to breath so I almost didn’t go back – which would have been the wiser decision as you shall see. I had plans to meet up with Nikola to get my silverware so I ended up going back to University House and was planning on going from there to meet Nikola.

When I got to University House the card office was closed because they had so many people come in and the lady at reception told me to try and come back later that day around 2pm. Currently it was 11am and they closed at 3pm. I was very frustrated and very short with the lady. Lunch with Nikola was nice and I was able to take my mind off of my problems for a while and I even got to see Luicelle.

I had chips for lunch which was such an odd thing to ask for and it took everything I had to ask for chips and not french fries. Its really hard getting used to that. :)


Now it was about 1:30pm so I went back to University House and they were open the same lady who had helped me before said it would be about 30 mins but I was welcome to wait and since I didn’t want to have to come back that’s what I did. I sat there for the full 30 mins and possible more when I noticed people were being turned away because their printer had stopped working so I approached the desk and asked about my card. Of course my card was the next one up before the printer had stopped working which really upset me because a girl who came after me got her card before mine.

Then to make matters even more worse I get in email later saying that someone has turned in my old card but because they finally got my new one printed I still have to pay them the $25! Talk about pissed off. That just added to everything to make this day horrible. I went and found the mail room and the laundry room. Its about $5 to do 1 load of wash which I find outrageous so I had the bright idea to hand wash everything but that’s turning out to be more of a hassle than anything. And then I decided to cook something in the kitchen what a disaster! I could not boil water to save my life. The stove was on, the burner was hot but the water in the pot did not boil. I finally gave up and did some creative cooking. I boiled water in the kettle (which actually works) and added that to the pot with the noodles. An hour and half later I had some dinner that was eatable. In the process I did meet 2 of my flat mates both doing business things and both from India.
This has been one of the most frustrating days yet but I did get to see some of the pole dancers for the pole dancing society which was neat but I’m not sure its the right thing for me. I did however sign up for the Warwick Student Cinema where if I get involved I can see the films for free! And some of the films they’re showing are really good – newer films and foreign films. They show them Tuesday – Friday and Sunday. Can you imagine? A film almost everynight! We’ll see how it works out.
I’m just hoping tomorrow gets better. It’s my first day of classes…

No comments:

Post a Comment