Sunday 24 July 2011

October 1st and 2nd

So I haven’t been keeping up on my journals so I’m just combining the last two days not that anything really exciting has happened. I enrolled and got my University card which I then lost less than 24 hours later so I have to get a replacement one. I signed up for the health center and now I have free health care!!!! It’s so easy I was amazed and disappointed that we can’t do that in the US. It’s actually quite upsetting that I can finish all of my immunizations that I haven’t been able to afford for free.  I checked out the library with Charlotte. It’s not as big as the Knight library but it’s still a decent size. Catalogued in the library of congress format except for the 4th floor which is in Dewey decimal. You have to use your University card to get into the library and back out again which is how I lost my card in the first place, having to take it out and put back into my wallet. The putting it back part alluded me. We tried visiting the learning lab which is open for students with computers and is open after the library closes but we couldn’t get in. So we decided to wait at the film building which being postgrads we get our own little room which is highly exciting and also weird. I’m not used to the special treatment for postgrads we’re getting. We got tea and everything!

I left Charlotte to go check out the bank but I didn’t want to wait in the line so I just went home which is where I discovered I no longer had my card. I freaked out and went back out to retrace my steps coming back empty handed and soaking wet! It was not a good day for me. : (

Dinner did help make up for it. Indian curry which was amazing! And the best blueberry cheesecake. It was so good. I had gotten cake earlier in the week but it just wasn’t good but I couldn’t resist the cheesecake and I’m glad I took it because it was the best ever. The naan wasn’t good but when I make such good naan it’s hard to compare. : )This was the end of Orientation. I didn’t go to the event afterwards but I heard it wasn’t anything special.

Saturday was a much better day. I got up and went to stand in line at the bank. I’ve decided to go with NatWest because it’s free and on campus so it’s convenient. I waited for about 2.5 hours but I’ve got it now! The bank manager was very nice and liked the ease of my name having previously dealt with all Asian names starting with Xi and the like. Of the bank managers tried a name, gave up and just asked if there was anyone from Thailand. It was funny.

After the bank I met Nikola and we walked up to Tesco to do some shopping. Probably the worst day to go shopping. Arrivals weekend so lots of parents were there with students and it was way over crowded! I got my basic stuff and a phone (although I still don’t know how it works so I have to go back) but have yet to get any cooking equipment which I was going to go to Ikea for but the weather looks pretty nasty so I’m not sure I want to go today but we’ll see. The grocery store is about the same as they are in the US. Of course they have sections for sausages and biscuits. And at lot less prepared meals, at least at Tesco. In the shopping mall attached to Tesco is a frozen food store that just sells frozen food. We bought silverware to share but Nikola still has it so I have no way to make anything so I hadn’t eaten anything yesterday for lunch and was running on a free piece of pizza from dominos and two apples I had taken from the restaurant on previous days.
At 3 I went to the Humanities building for the postgrad Arts Induction where I met up with Charlotte. We had to do some more of those stupid mingle things. I just don’t like people all that much and I don’t see that changing anytime soon no matter how much I try. The induction that was suppose to last from 3:30-5 ran very smoothly and we were done by 4:30. Charlotte and I decided to go to Ikea which at this point I wasn’t too excited about but knew I needed pots and pans to cook with so we passed the freshers fair and the unicycle juggler  to get to the bus stop. We both got confused on when the bus was suppose to arrive and she only has a bus pass for one of the buses that we didn’t know how it got to Coventry and we were both so hungry we decided to skip it and have dinner on campus.

The dirty duck is a pub/restaurant on campus with pretty decent food. I got the vegetarian burger (having not been interested in eating any meat, except for the free piece of pizza with pepperoni). The burger was pretty good, a little spicy and with good fries. Love the fries here. That was pretty much everything. I’ve got two days to kill before classes  and I think I’m taking them slow before the hectic school schedule gets me down…

No comments:

Post a Comment