Monday 25 July 2011

EDINBURGH


The hostel I was staying at in Edinburgh I would not go back to. The light in the bathroom didn't work nor did they fix it after I told them, plus it was directly across from a very lively bar that Friday night had a massive party. It took me a while to get to sleep and I was planning on getting up early for a hike so I was not amused when the fire alarm went off at 2:30am! At least this time everyone actually got up and left the building. The party was still going on, Scotland knows how to party. The fire brigade showed up but finally we were let back in without an explanation as to what had happened. I slept in an extra half hour, not getting up until 6:30am when I left to climb up to Arthur's seat. As I was leaving the hostel I came upon a naked man who had been locked out of his room. It's was a little embarrassing, more for him than me, and I really don't want to know how he ended up outside his room without any clothes. I continued on my way. I found my way down to the hiking trail pretty easily. Arthur's seat is a possible site of Camelot and is 250 meters high. I didn't think it would be that bad, the guidebook had said it would take 45 minutes when in actuality it took closer to a hour. However I was wearing converse which have no traction and are not really built for climbing, plus I was already so tired and my feet hurt from all the previous walking but I was determined to do it. There were stairs for most of the way but lots of rocks that were a bit slippery and hard to climb but I MADE IT!!!

  

The views were spectacular and I didn't want to leave. I could have stayed up there for hours just enjoying the view from all directions. I did find the timing setting on my camera so I was able to take this photos to prove that I had made it up to the top. Climbing back down was a bit troublesome. I'm so worried about heights in nature but I'm a bit afraid of falling so it was a lot of sitting down and making me way slowly down the rocks. And after all the stairs my knees were killing me. I gone back a different way so I ended up in a new part of town that I had to find my way through. I was a little worried about making it back to my hotel in time to check out but I was fine, finally finding my way. I checked out and then decided it was definitely time for breakfast before I headed to the castle. I went to the Elephant House where J.K.Rowling wrote Harry Potter which was cool and it was a nice meal. 

I made my up to the castle and through the mass of tourist to wait in line for tickets which took forever but it was worth it. This was my first castle so I got the audio guide as I will listen to things but I won't read anything. I also went on the free 20 minute tour which was well worth it and covered a lot of what was in the audio commentary although the audio was worth it as well giving a good back history to everything and allowed me to sit down for a while which was good because my feet were killing me. The tour guide though was funny and entertaining. He asked us questions which I got one right - even though I was super surprised at myself for even offering an answer. The question was who was the last King to be crowned in Scotland and the answer was Charles the Second. I got both the name and the number right. People around me looked at my funny but I had read about it in my guidebook so I knew the answer. I watched the one o'clock gun go off which was super loud and I jumped even though I knew it was coming and watching as it happened. I guess I just wasn't expecting such a loud bang. 

I also ran into Karen from the conference. We both had the same idea of coming up to Scotland! She gave me her card just in case which I really appreciated and have looked at her programme at Indiana University although she knows that I would rather stay in the UK and it would be better to work on Doctor Who here but it's another option and it's always nice to have contacts. I went through and saw the crowned jewels  and the stone of destiny which was beautiful and intriguingly crafted. I finished my visit at the gift shop getting a couple postcards of the jewels and stone since you weren't allowed to take pictures and whiskey that had been aged for ten years for my dad.

I left the castle and headed slowly to the National Gallery, stopping first in the basement for lunch, a hot buttery which is basically a croissant with brie and spinach melted over it. So good and I didn't get sick! I left my bags in a locker and headed up to view some art. Usually I'm not a big fan of art but there was some really good paintings that I like and a sculpture that I got postcards of later. It was also cool to see the famous painters.

Antonio Canova
The Three Graces (Aglaia, Euphrosyne and Thalia)

Raphael (Raffaello Santi)
The Virgin and Child ('The Bridgewater Madonna')


Claude Monet
Poplars on the Epte

Vincent Van Gogh: Orchard in Blossom - Plum Trees

The museum closed at five and I walked back to the royal for a few more gifts, including a shirt for me and then went back to the train station to catch my train home. I enjoyed some of the bagpipe pipers along the way including the man dressed as a fawn. The train was late and caused me to miss my connecting train to Coventry.When I went into the customer service area this group of three guys and a woman were fighting with the reception area because they failed to get on their coach to Derby and they weren't going to be refunded their money. The police even got involved. Thankfully there was no problem for me and they arranged a taxi to Coventry station that I shared with Adam who was on the same train as me. I started a conversation with him as well, socially I was on a roll. I got to the station, having turned 24 got in the second taxi to take me back to the university and my trip was finally over. It's been a super long but fantastic week, now it's back to the real world and work on my dissertation must commence before my next trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment