Monday 25 July 2011

Loch Ness and the Highlands

  

Finally the day had arrived to go monster hunting! I had signed up for a tour of Loch Ness and the Highlands so I could do it all in one day and so I could spend my birthday at home especially since traveling on Sunday's are horrible and more expensive. I woke up early and hunted for a place that was open and I was starting to get very worried that I wouldn't be able to eat until I found Starbucks! What a savoir. I had my tea and blueberry muffin and since I was so early I walked around the royal mile taking pictures and acting the part of the tourist which was kinda nice. The drivers came we all got on and were off towards out first stop at Pitlochry, a nice little town.


Mav, the driver sold us tickets for the boat cruise which I though was a great idea and I did get sick! I started talking to this other girl Monica who lives in London but is from Brazil because she was going on the boat cruise as well. It was time to get back on the bus and I found my way to the back of the bus which I shared with another girl who was sleeping a lot. At the next stop we got to take pictures of Ben Nevis, the largest mountain in the UK, which really isn't saying much. Anyways the girl whose name I found out later was, Michelle asked if I could take her picture and we got to talking and clicked right away. She was studying in London for a month and was going back to California today to start a nursing program. It was great being able to talk to another Doctor Who fan, she even carries a sonic screwdriver around with her, talk about my soul mate!

I managed to get her to go on the boat ride with me and it was a lovely hour cruise. The water is dark but it doesn't look dirty like the Willamette. They had a recorded narration that was interesting but they also had a talk about their sonar equipment which was fascinating. They can tell the size and type of fish they pop up on the screen by the colour, amazing technology. And of course there are dots they can't explain that fuels the Nessie legend. What was really cute was the stickers they had on the inside window that allowed you to take a picture against the water so it looked like you had seen Nessie and you could switch it to video to see Nessie swim. I couldn't resist. it started to sprinkle a bit on our way back in but then it stopped, I have to say weather wise I was really lucky.



Back on the Bus we made another stop where we got a taste of whiskey that we had heard so much about. It was disgusting! I can understand why in the movies people drink it keep warm but I don't know how anyone could enjoy it! Michelle and I had to rinse the taste out with some delicious chips. She had ordered first and then the lady didn't think I was ordering I guess but then it was a massive pile of chips so we just decided to share, and Michelle wouldn't even let me pay for half of them. They were really good. The Scots know how to make chips that's for sure. Huge, you can believe they were made from a potato. 
 

Our last major stop was at Glencoe which is infamous for the Glencoe massacre that occurred there. Really it was such a beautiful spot and so so green I can't believe it. It looks fakes, and my pictures don't do it justice. It's something that everyone should experience for themselves. I couldn't have just sat there for hours looking and marveling at the beauty.




Then it was just the bus ride home through the gorgeous scenery. When we got back to Edinburgh I gave Michelle my contact information and we said goodbye with a hug. It was so weird clicking with someone so fast, very unusual for me but I like it and I won't complain about it. I spent the evening walking through the shops and buying gifts for my family. I had dinner but it was really gross and not satisfying. Well the chips were good but the fish wasn't, a big disappointment. Leaving my stuff at home I went walking through the city just to enjoy it without my camera. I had gone out to get some fruit and sparkling water and couldn't find the grocery store I was originally looking for but the walk was nice all the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment