Sunday 24 July 2011

September 27th-28th



The planes were horrible there’s no point to lie. I felt horrible from being sick and was super hot. I almost cried when I hugged mom and dad and that was really hard. I did get a nice warm welcome from Capers which was nice and then went down to my gate with my toast, bagel, tap and hot water in hand. I got to see Abbie too which was nice. I sat in between two nice people the gentleman on the aisle put my bag up for me because I was having trouble and couldn’t find a place for it. The flight itself was not fun I sat with my eyes closed most of the time and my head in the same awkward position but enabled me to have air directly on my face which helped keep me calmed.

We arrived in Philly and I was starving. I had only been able to eat a few bites of my bagel without feeling sick but did have some water. I found a Wendy’s – after the bathroom or course – and scarfed down a large fry and drank a bit of an unsweeted ice tea. The people there were not very nice or competent. It was funny though because the Wendy’s was staffed by all black people and the Asian market right next to it was staffed by all Asians (although that was so surprising) the combined stereotypes was funny. I had a very long layover with nothing to do. I couldn’t really eat any more and finding my gate had made me start to feel sick again so I didn’t want to do much anyway. I tried to call mom but she didn’t answer.  Finally boarding came and once again I had trouble with my luggage and a nice man tried to help and then a not so nice man helped. The flight to London was worse than the first. My tv kept coming on even though I kept turning it off. I still had my eyes closed the whole time, it was very bumpy and the woman next to me kept turning on lights or bumping into me. I was glad to finally land, early at that.

So I arrive, get through customs and border check with no problems and no cool questions like “are you carrying any fruits or vegetables?” and walked into the arrivals gate where I saw people in red tee-shirts but for Middlesex University.  So I pressed on after getting some of my money exchanged to terminal three. I was suppose to meet Warwick people at arrivals three which I guess is the same as terminal three but how am I suppose to know that. Anyways I’m carrying both of my suitcases tied together which they continually slide off and fall over and when I pick that one up my other one falls over which has my purse in it and 
consequently my kindle which does not work now. So much for that huh. Frustrated, upset and pissed are the emotions I would use to categorize my mood at the moment. Especially since Rachel bought it used it doesn’t have a warranty on it, I don’t think. And I feel bad for all the money Mom and Dad put into it. Anyways so I get to terminal three but there’s a sign saying “DO NOT ENTER” so I don’t know what to do. I’m starting to panic and freak out about even being here and telling myself this is all a big mistake.  I go back to the arrivals terminal, a hell to get back to by the way. I’m hot, sweating profusely and not feeling well at all. I had to break down and buy a water bottle with my credit card because I was dying. I decide my best course of action is to ask the Middlesex people if they’ve seen the Warwick people. Thankfully they come to my rescue!! Yeah for Middlesex University! They call the Warwick people and then actually take me over there AND carries one of my bags. The guy was pretty nice looking. And was joking with me earlier that the Warwick people were in red shirts as well, but with horns. : ) He did say that Warwick is a really good school though so it was nice to have that reiterated by someone not connected to Warwick. I finally find the Warwick people and everything is fine.

We all pile into this bus (the guy loading the bags, he was a looker but I had hoped he was the bus driver and I could continue my trend. lol) It’s hot, stuffy, no air flow and we all stink to high heaven from all the traveling. And I got to meet some other people from the US which was nice but none from the west coast and they were all doing undergraduates exchange programs. I slept most of the ride listening to BBC radio 1 and hearing all about the ban on homemade desserts. I found it quite intriguing, others, not so much. When I wasn’t sleeping I watched the English countryside from my window and by this time I was feeling better so I could actually enjoy the view a bit besides being tired and completely starving.

About two hours later we arrived at Warwick. It seemed like such a big campus I was getting way overwhelmed. But I went and got registered, got my key and found my new flat. I think once I get it all set up I’ll love it. It’s quite large for a college room with a nice desk and bookshelf.  The closet is a bit small but did have some hangers left behind so that will be nice and helpful. The bathroom is small but nice. Strange toilet and the shower seems really tall. I almost killed myself getting out of the shower today which was not good, I was already upset enough. I went back to campus to retrieve my luggage and got connected with a free shuttle that took me to lakeside so I didn’t have to carry it all the way there which was super nice although almost terrifying experience. The shuttle driver was fun, a bit snarky but drove like a bat out of hell! And of course getting used to the opposite side of the road isn’t as easy as I thought it was going to be. I think in India we were all so worried about the driving being bad that we were happy the bus was on the road whether it be the right or left. : )

I took a shower because I felt horrible and set off to campus to await dinner. I have not had a full meal in about four days now so I was absolutely starving and felt like I could actually eat. Milling about downstairs I ran into these two other girls Nicola from Germany who’s studying History and Charlotte from Canada, who’s doing her PhD in Film and Television! What makes her even more amazing is that she loves Doctor Who! And she did her master thesis on Doctor Who!!! We’re becoming good friends. It’s a little hard with Nicola because of the language barrier but I’m trying to work on it. So we went to dinner together. I had spring rolls which were surprisingly good and salad which wasn’t. But even though I was so hungry I could stomach much of it so I had to skip out on the cake. : ( We met another girl, Lisa from Taiwan there but didn’t stick around all that long. Next up we had the extravaganza which was lame. There were steel drums and stilt walkers who where just weird and not technically on stilts or what I think of stilts as being. we never made it to the belly dancers which would have been cool to see but not enough to keep me there. Plus we had to wait forever for it so in the meantime we talked about Doctor Who and other TV sci fi stuff. It was awesome. The talking part at least, not so much the extravaganza.

Costcutters, (grocery time store) not being open we decided to call it a night but they were nice enough to walk me home. On the way we met another girl from china who lives in Heronbank, across from where I live. She was very nice.

I get the sense here that people are just a lot nicer and I like that but then it also makes me feel meaner if that makes any sense. Or course maybe I’ve found a place for my snarkiness. But people seem very willing to answer questions and introduce themselves which makes it easier for me but even I’m getting better at it.
At this moment I’m conflicted on if I want to go home or not. The first half of the day I was ready to pack it all up but the end of the day made me really feel welcomed and made me want to give Warwick a chance, a chance it deserves. I’m just really upset about the kindle and overwhelmed by everything I have to do for myself now that it’s a little much for one day but hopefully tomorrow will bring on a better day…

No comments:

Post a Comment