Tuesday 20 September 2011

Journey Home

September 15, 2011 - September 16, 2011

I spent my last day in Coventry picking up some last minute Doctor Who items for Amber and Jess which I'm glad I went and did. I finished packing which took forever, trying to find everything and fit it all in. Dinner with Celia and Owen before heading to the airport. Celia and I were pressed for time so we took a taxi to the rail station but made it to the airport with lots of time. I said my farewell to Celia and was left to wonder the airport for the night. I had some tea and a muffin and was able to get online but my computer was quickly loosing power so I had to hunting for a plugin where the wifi would still work. I finally found myself a corner and was able to watch the Doctor Who episode I had missed and the final episode of Torchwood. Thankfully I was in a hidden corner because I was crying through both episodes. Finally I was able to check in and had to pay 130 pounds extra for my extra weight and bag but I got it home. Earlier I had found a bag weighing station so I had spent some time adjusting my bags but I knew the fees were going to be steep.

The flight to Amsterdam wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. The best thing it had going for it was the fact that it was short. The bad thing was that I had to race to my gate on the opposite side of the airport but I didn't really have to worry since I had plenty of time and since there was a long queue I used the time to buy a few things with my left over euros from Ireland. I got through the second security screening changed into my pjs for the 10 hour flight home. I was super tired to the plane ride wasn't that fun. I tried to sleep as much as a could. I watched a couple of films and some tv but was super glad when the plane finally landed.

Now I had been sneaky and had misinformed my family about my arrival. They all thought I wasn't coming home until 11pm but I was arriving at 11:30am. Amber picked me up from the airport. I surprised my sister when I rang the doorbell at home, and thankfully she was actually home because I don't have keys anymore. When my mom came home I was in bed so I didn't get to see her initial reaction but my dad was surprised as well, both thankful they didn't have to go to the airport at night.

So I'm back in Portland now but it doesn't feel like home, I miss Cov. It just motivates me to go back. I'm definitely suffering from jet lag but trying to get over it so I can look for a job and get a PhD proposal together to send off in time to also apply for scholarships. I still need to take a few days of just doing nothing. I really haven't given myself just some time to relax after the dissertation and then the traveling so it'll be a while for the adjustment period.

No comments:

Post a Comment