Friday 9 September 2011

221B Baker Street

September 9, 2011

A day trip into London which was done by accident. I had already bought my train tickets when I realized that I couldn't get tickets for the Doctor Who Experience which is why I wanted to go. I'm finding that planning for traveling is not fun and makes the traveling even less fun, but alas I went to go visit some things that I hadn't got a chance to. I started off at the British Library.


I had wanted to go see their exhibit 'Out of This World' all about Science Fiction but I also took the time to see their special collections with all their treasures. Including a copy of The Canterbury Tales, Jane Austen's writing desk and two of the surviving copies of the Magna Carta. I have only one copy left to see. From the library I took the underground to the National gallery.


Taking the underground was an experience in and of itself. It's really far underground, hot but also really windy - at least when the trains go by. It's a great way to get around London - expensive but I must save my feet for the next few days! I walked through the National Gallery but I really have no appreciation for art. I got to see my van Gogh paintings again which was really nice and I got to see Leonardo da Vinci's Madonna on the rocks but besides it being famous I could care less. The building is huge and basically a big maze, which is why I suppose they get away with charging a pound for a map - although entry is free so its not that bad. Coming from a not art background I really wish they would but all the famous paintings in one room so I wouldn't have to go traipsing around trying to find the paintings that I should see. Although I saw more Monet and Manet and Renoir I don't like impressionist art except for van Gogh. My obsession with van Gogh did start with Doctor Who but since seeing a wide range of his paintings I actually quite like them. They're really bright and colourful which I like.

After the Gallery I headed to the Sherlock Homles museum. I have never read any of the stories but I do like BBC's Sherlock so I thought why not. It's a nice little house although way overpriced for a museum. There was one pamphlet to read, which I read and didn't give much information. The gift shop takes up the whole bottom floor - its amazing what is being sold actually. Fake cigarettes for a pound and pipes. Up in the museum its left as a Victorian residence. It all looks very nice, and you can have your picture taken with props.

 

It was a fun day and makes me want to read the Sherlock Holmes adventures so that's a plus I guess. I went into a couple of tourist shops but didn't find anything of interest so I headed back to the station for dinner before my train. I went to an American dinner for chilli fries and a milkshake. My stomach has been more open to dairy products as of late and the milkshake was so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment