Thursday 8 September 2011

Jimmy Carr



September 4, 2011

It's Jimmy Carr day! The day I have been waiting for. I did have tickets booked for early this morning but I didn't get to bed until 1am when I work up at 6:30 I felt sick once again, maybe I'm allergic to traveling. Hmm... what a thought. So I decided when I actually got up out of bed at 8 that I would eat the train charges and buy another later ticket. Frustrating but I'm trying not to think about it. My morning was lovely. I spent it uploading pictures and planning today and tomorrow. On the train now at Birmingham to Liverpool had to move once because of small children and may be moving again as I have not escaped the children entirely although these ones seem to be quieter. I've switched shows for this two day trip - proper trainers with padding so I'm hoping they're better although my toes aren't too happy! Because I'm going so late - the train leaves at 15:35 I won't have much time to go to the sights of Liverpool since everything closes at 1700 but really I'm more interested in Jimmy Carr but I am hoping to catch some snippets of Liverpool conversations for Jess.

Well I've arrived found the hostel with not problems surprisingly. As I came out of the station I was struck with awe at the buildings. It reminds me of London but you can see the industrial side. I should really never travel on Sunday because everything shuts so early. i saw this pizza place that looked good but by the time I came back from the hostel it was closed - but I'm getting ahead of myself, let me rewind. I made it to the hostel got checked in by a nice and guy and went up to my room on Penny Lane. There was another girl there who was sitting on my bed. We ended up just switching beds because the bed I had been assigned was on the bottom. Of course I then hit my head on the ceiling. The girl was nice, from Brazil and here for two days before returning home just finished her MA degree as well. I left the hostel to find dinner before the show unfortunately this visit will be limited to Jimmy Carr. I tried going to Nando's but it was super busy and the pizza place I mentioned before was closed so I decided to eat at the philharmonic hall where the performance was. I got a little lost but surprisingly remained calmed. I got really turned around and was starring at a map that wasn't helping when a guy asked me if I was lost using the word 'lovey'. He gave me directions which was nice, another plus for the cit but I fear Liverpool will not have a lasting impression on me. Live music in pubs reminds me of the things I don't like about PDX. The tall buildings that were so amazing when I arrived I think has more to do with the fact that I had come from the country.

I almost forgot about the train, if you remember I had moved to avoid the children well halfway through the journey a kid sat next to me. Horror of horrors! Its amazing really what families do to keep children entertained. They played the word association game for an hour. It was almost unbearable. The only redeeming factors was the little kid's laugh and the older brother's Northern accent - he sounded like Jason Manford.

So here in the cafe at the Philharmonic I await Jimmy Carr. I had a lovely spinach tart (quiche) fries and coleslaw with salad. The coleslaw was basically mayonnaise but it worked well as a dressing for the salad and hid the unwashed taste of the lettuce that comes with every salad I've ever gotten in the UK.

It was sprinkling on the way here and although I brought my umbrella I left it at the hostel. I carry it with me throughout all my sunny travel and then forget it when its really needed.

I wonder what Jimmy Carr does before a show? I hope its good.

My change in shoes have helped but all the walking I've done so far have not helped and I'm contemplating a taxi back but we'll see sitting down should help.

WOW! What a fantastic show! I'm giddy. I laughed the whole time. Bought the programme which came with a poster that was worth the fiver. I read the whole thing and it was the best programme I've looked at of the three shows I've been to. Jimmy Carr has such a quick wit. There was a little but of repeat material but I think most of it was from press for the show plus its still funny stuff and he did the dragon joke which I heard him say on the Jonathan Ross show which I absolutely adore. Unlike Dylan Moran, the pictures on the screen were part of the show. A wonderful night although I was too scared to shout out anything and the people I sat next to weren't laughing all that much but I had no one on the other side of me. I find for comedy shows it's best to sit in a full section. And to top it all off I got to have a chat with him shake his hand and get stuff signed. A very generous guy and made me feel like I was important enough to talk to. He asked where I was from and made a joke about me relocating from the US to Coventry and mentioned that his brother had did the course I did and that Warwick had a beautiful campus. I was star struck and now maybe a bit in love with Jimmy Carr.

The walk home was okay, this creepy guy tried to chat me up but I manged to shake him off. I got turned around a bit but made it back to the hostel happy as a clam.

(transposed from a written journey written throughout the day)

No comments:

Post a Comment