Sunday 4 September 2011

Cardiff - Day Three

September 2, 2011

Today I got off to a rather late start. I really didn't want to get up and finally found my way down to the kitchen around 8 had a slow couple of cups of tea while I wrote out yesterday's events and then set off for the train station where I got my tickers to Chepstow (and it's not pronounced cheapstow) A rowdy group of guys got on the train and I've found me favorite word in a welsh accent is 'lodger' - excellent! I made it to chepstow - a deserted station no signs and of course I jumped to the conclusion that I was lost but I could see the castle in the distanced. I followed the signs on the other side of the subway to the tourist information centre although the signs lead me the long way around which was nice in the aspect that I got to see more of the town especially the nice little park but also harmful on my poor feet and now legs. Finally found the tourist centre with the most helpful person (and I mean this sincerely) I went and visited the castle which had amazing views but it was no Caerphilly! I went back to the tourist centre to get directions to the bus stop so I could go to Tintern Abbey. Excellent directions also. I had to wait for 2 hours at the bus stop in the sun, ugh! with Welsh hoodlums who knew all the bus times and bus drivers. I ate my lunch and narrowly escaped talking to some crazy person and my bus finally arrived.

The bus ride was short and uneventful through beautiful scenery and the Abbey was insight. Up until this point I had been wondering if going to Tintern was such a good idea but the sight of it washed away all my doubts. It was magnificent - no wonder it inspired Wordsworth to poetry and I can't wait to read the poem again - its been too long and I hardly remember it. I didn't spend too long there first because of the bus times and second a group of American tourists arrived - old, fat and all wearing baseball caps. Clicking frivolously.

Back on the bus and back in Chepstow I arrived at the bus station and hobbling along made it to the rail station where I got stuck talking to a drunk guy from Barry who had been at the horse races who asked me if I was from Chepstow or Cardiff. And a security guard who is 40 divorced but recently engaged and forced to take the train because his license was taken away for drunk driving. I talked a but but mainly listened. Back in Cardiff around 6 I was worried I had missed the shops as I have failed to get any souvenirs but luckily a shop was opened and I am now a proud owner of a tea cosy. I boarded another bus for Cardiff bay since I had decided against going to Barry Island of Gavin and Stacey fame and had dinner at Eddie's dinner again. It was light out so I also got to read the Ianto memorial wall again.


Found a bus back to the city centre, then back tot he hostel. My last night in Cardiff tomorrow I'm off to Disley - Lyme Park a.k.a Pemberly.

(transposed from a written journey written throughout the day)

No comments:

Post a Comment