Tuesday 20 September 2011

Doctor Who Experience



September 10, 2011

The airport. So glad I don't work in one anymore but it does surprise me how many shops are in the airport and I do wonder how profitable they are. I've had a long day. Got off to a late start but I didn't need to be in London until 2 so I took the morning off, printed off all the tickers I needed for the weekend ahead and went to catch my train. Thankfully, unlike yesterday the train had no problem getting there on time. Yesterday a truck hita bridge so we were super late. I got back on the underground when I arrived and went and got lunch from M&S at Earl's Court where I saw a Tardis on the street. Back on the underground to the Doctor Who Experience which was fantastic. The only bad thing were the little kids (and yes I see the pattern of my dislike of kids while traveling). I think they should have an adult only day time slot that way I could actually fly the Tardis and not have to worry about blocking the view of the little kids. We start out by viewing a montage of the 1st series of Matt Smith as the Doctor with his voiceover. The montage ends on the crack in the wall which rotates on the screen to a vertical position and the screen separates on the crack and we step through it. I kinda knew something was going to happen because you can see the crack during the montage. Anyways, through the crack trying not to trample the young ones and dodging the horrible parents we step onto the USS Starship UK and are shown exhibits from different episodes from the Russell T. Davies era as well as the new series. An information node from the library episode explains everything to us. The tour is broken up by the Doctor transmitting from the pandorica again. He tells us to look for the Tardis. He uses his sonic screwdriver and the Tardis appears in the far wall with sounds and lights. Stepping through the Tardis doors I got to stand in the Tardis! As an adult however, I''m forced to stand in the back (ageists!) but its still a fun experience. Lights go on and off, smoke comes from the Tardis console and the floor shifts which the kids 'fly' the Tardis under the direction of the Doctor. Another door opens and were told to go through it where we are met by Daleks. "Exterminate. Exterminate/ Exterminate." One is on a platform and two come from behind the group on either side of the back wall. Once again we have to make room for the kids. The daleks are scanning us and you can see yourself in the screen as surveillance footage. Soon other Dalek ships arrive and they battle the daleks holding us captive giving us time to escape. Walking through the forest of the weeping angels into another screening room where we have successfully allowed the Doctor to be transported back to the Tardis but then all the baddies come back in the form of a 3D show which was amazing. I was shot by a cyberman, grabbed by weeping angels. The effects were really good. After that room the show ends and the exhibition begins.

There were clothes of all the Doctors and Companions. Gadgets, monsters and behind the scenes stuff. I resisted getting the photo of me trapped in the pandorica - maybe if it would have been with next to the 10th Doctor I would have been more interested and would have paid the 12 pounds. I operated a Dalek and heard my voice as one. It would have been much better if A) there were no children and B) I had went with someone else. I wish Marta had gone with me she would have loved it. It was all over but the shop where I purchased a pin (I've got with the pin idea for my new collection) and an adipose stress toy which is so fantastic.


Not only did I get to go onto the new Tardis but I also got to go on the old Tardis. The only bad part but in a way still a good part was they had a loop of David Tennant turning into Matt Smith which was really sad but a cool use of multimedia technology. Also the museum but was nice but had its drawbacks. Although I have bemoaned the excess of information given a museums I would have liked more information at this museum directed towards adults. Each exhibit just had info about the specific episode the object was in. easy to read for children but a little downputting for adults. Remarkable since, since Steven Moffat took over the show it has become much darker and less kid friendly. (But that's a whole other argument I could write about for ages.)

I took the tube back to Euston station had dinner at Nando's with free olives, Score! And then came to the airport via St. Pancras Station which is beautiful.The flight to Dublin was super short - I even looked out the window as I wasn't allowed to lower the blind. Caught the bus after much contemplation and then started my hostel search. I walked all over the place had finally given up and was headed to the taxi when I turned around and realised I was standing in front of the hostel! I got checked in but someone was sleeping in my bed so I was assigned another one (the lower one much to my annoyance) and I had a few fitful hours of sleep, woken up a couple of times during the night from the girl in the bed next to me having bad nightmares.

No comments:

Post a Comment