Tuesday 20 September 2011

Connemara



September 12, 2011

I got up having had a little more sleep than yesterday but not much. I made my way down to the meeting point for me second tour day stopping off first to get breakfast and tea. Surprisingly the vans were already there arriving early after yesterday arriving late. Not so nice was the fact that my name was not on the list and the bus was fully booked. I booked on Friday night and two girls had booked the night before which made it really annoying and unfair. But there was room in another bus for Connemara so I went on that one instead. Connemara is an area of bog which is cut up, dried out and then sold for firewood. All along the way it was mostly just scenery we were looking at which was a little disappointing with the clouds. I was expecting more green but it was more brown. Still there were some sun breaks that made the green stand out.



We started out in Galway which I was excited about because that's where the film the Guard I recently watched was set. (Check out my review here) Furthermore its the home of the Claddagh ring so I purchased one for myself and I absolutely love it. I got a plain traditional silver one. I grabbed a quick lunch and headed back to the bus. Now the hurricane which had just hit the US was coming so it was super windy making it hard to walk. Next we went to this abbey which we could only see from a distance as it was more a stop for lunch.



Because of the weather our boat was cancelled. Everything seemed to be going wrong with me and this tour. Instead of he boat we spent a little extra time at places and then went to the beach which was amazingly beautiful. We even got blue skies and no rain. The second beach was really windy and kicked up the sand which was a little less than pleasant but it was still beautiful. The tour guide Ross was excited that the boat had been cancelled and was surprised that he had never been to the beach as it was so beautiful. We stopped off at Cong which is where they filmed The Quite Man. Earlier in the day we had seen a replica cottage which was neat and now I need to see the movie again.

No comments:

Post a Comment