Sunday 4 September 2011

Lyme Park

September 3, 2011

Today has started well at least after i got rid of my headache. I got up early and checked out but missed the 28 so I went to the 29 but then realised I was reading the wrong schedule as it was Saturday, but thankfully one arrived close to the time I had anticipated so I was able to make me train. First change at Bristol Parkway and on my second train to Stockport from which I have to figure out how to get to Disley. Its a little confusing but the guy at the station told me not to worry. I'm exited about going home tonight and to take a hot bath to soak my poor legs. I feel as if I need a cane to walk! One more day and then it's Jimmy Carr.

I made it to Disley floundered around a bit trying to find the way to Lyme Park after I found out the bus wasn't running when I met another girl who was headed in the same direction so together we walked up to the house. Unfortunately my first view of the house wasn't the same as Elizabeth Bennet's in the film as the lake is in the back but its still a beautiful house. The tour through the house was nice although too much reading. The house if richly furnished beautiful and I can't decided if I would want to live there or not (not that I'm in the market mind but its still fun to imagine) I think the lighting is really poor so I would have to say no. The National Trust volunteers were really nice and helpful and I got rid of the girl I arrived with so I could take my time. I stopped in to have lunch in the restaurant to sit down for a bit befroe I tour the gardens and finally get a good look at the famous lake.

Lunch/Dinner was wonderful and I'm hoping the cheese wasn't too much. I had a lovely bean and vegetable bake with a salad. And then I indulged myself with a scone and cup of tea. It'll be expensive but I'm on vacation! Plus the mood of the house calls for it. The scone was worth it - delicious, like a buttermilk biscuit but denser.


The gardens were lush and the lake fantastic. It was weird to see it in person after watching the film and now of course I need to watch that scene again. The walk away from the house was beautiful even when it started to rain lightly. The countryside was exactly how I picture England from all the period pictures I watch. I stopped and just surveyed the the view which was breathtaking, a wonderful sight to behold. It was perfect and actually a bit relaxing which I haven't found yet. Hobbling back to the station I await my train, my feet on fire and I'm not sure how I'm going to walk home but somehow I'll make it.



Of course my train was late so I missed my connection and had to wait and then this annoying family sat next to me. A woman basically on top of my and then kept tuting and making noises at me because she didn't have enough room. Then her son put stickers all over the place and was invading my personal bubble and the woman didn't care at all. Any ideas I had of working with young kids have evaporated! I contemplated getting off at Coventry instead of Canley but the woman was too annoying and I could handle it so I got off at Canley and trusted my instincts on walking in the right direction toward cannon park. Finally made it home and slept in my own bed, at least for a night.

(transposed from a written journey written throughout the day)

No comments:

Post a Comment