Saturday 9 July 2016

July 9th - Musei Capitolini, Lakes in the Alban Hills, and Wine



Today was our half free day half tour day. I started the day by sleeping in until 7am. It was glorious. I was even able to eat a good breakfast. I knew there was stuff I needed to do at the hotel, but I wanted to take advantage of the day and my time here in Rome I was bummed when I found out that the National Museum of Modern Art was being updated so the 19th 20th century rooms I was planning on visiting, to see Van Gogh, were closed. I needed another plan, so I got my Rick Steves book out and decided on the Capitolini Museum. I found my route and headed out. I took it slow and steady. I knew I had the afternoon left to do so I didn’t want to overtax myself after finally feeling better.


I ended up taking a different route, but I still ended up in the same place. I was able to enjoy looking at the Roman Forum a little bit more before heading up to the Capitolini Museum. The museum has some nice pieces and beautiful huge frescos. I got a little mixed up in my directions at first and couldn’t find the rooms I was looking for. Finally, going the wrong way round I found the Medusa head, the boy taking the thorn out, Brutus, and of course the she-wolf suckling Remus and Romulus, the ‘founders’ of Rome. The museum also has the original statue of Marcus Aurelius, the copy is in the square. What was also amazing was the view! I was able to see the whole city!

My time was winding down at the museum, and although I had meant to go to the other side through the underground tunnel I missed it and ended up leaving the museum. I got to see what I wanted to see so that was good and I had to get back to the hotel anyways. On my way back I stopped by Tarjan’s column and market. The Column is intricately carved and beautiful.

I went back a different way than I had come which posed a few problems, but nothing major. I knew the street I needed to be on and I could see it, but there was also a set of stairs. I should have taken the stairs as they were a shortcut, but the long way around let me know that I was going in the right direction because I recognized the route from the bus, so not a wasted detour. I made it back to the hotel without any sidetracking! I was so proud of myself.

I made it back to the hotel with enough time for lunch before we all boarded the bus for the Alban Hills.


The tour was nice a relaxed. We had only three stops and minimal walking. Our first stop was a view of Lake Albano and the Papal Summer Palace. Beautiful lake with a nice charming town attached. You really wished you could be on the water on one of the sailboats. In the distance you could see towns cascading from the cliff. Being out of the city was also nice for a change.

Our second stop was in a town known for its small strawberries, delicious small strawberries, and a view of Lake Nemi. While others decided to explore the town, I was content to sit on a bench and eat my strawberries. I even got to pet a cat which made me miss Nimbus.

Our final stop was for our wine tasting. Getting to the wine tasting was an adventure all on its own. We pulled up to this huge bridge, which we were told was a local spot for suicides. We then had to take the ski lift up to the town. Our guide was convinced we could fit 20 people in it, but that was never going to happen. First it was buzzing because we were over the weight limit. Two people got off and the buzzing only stopped when I got off, great confidence builder there. Even with the buzzing stopped they still couldn’t move and they had to shed a few more people, that made me feel a little better. I hopped onto the next car and was able to look around the place with its magnificent views while I waited for the rest of the group to join.

Then we walked down the street to this small restaurant where we were having our wine tasting. Honestly, it was more like just drinking wine rather than tasting wine. They filled up a glass of red wine and a glass of white wine and offered refills. Then came the food. First I had a plate of olives, olive oil bread, and a whole bunch of meat. On top of that we already had a giant loaf of bread on the table. I ate the bread an olives and wasn’t going to do anything about the meat. They waited until after they passed out the meat to ask if there were any vegetarians. Willamaye finally just told them and they exchanged my plate for a plate of grilled zucchini, eggplant with roasted red peppers, and an egg quiche thing. It was sooo good. Our wine tasting tour came to an end, too abrupt for most. I had tried both the red and the white wine and had preferred the white wine so I thought I would drink the red wine first and savor the white wine, but when I got almost done with the red wine it hit me hard and I was done. Others got cute little to go cups of their wine. Instead of taking the ski lift back down we had to walk a back and forth half step half ramp trail down to the bottom. I’m surprised everyone made it down safely. At the hotel we had to say goodbye to our wonderful tour guide.


The night ended with the first, the best gelato I’ve had yet (Carmel and chocolate fudge which tasted like brownie batter) and then second, a drinking party on the 8th floor terrace. I drank a little bit of wine and had some good conversations, but then it was time for bed. One more day of classes and my first residency is over! I can’t wait for next year in Edinburgh.  



No comments:

Post a Comment