Friday 8 July 2016

July 7 - Galleria Borghese and Workshop




Today was an earlier 8am start. I was feeling okay in the morning and then had breakfast and felt bad again. I made it onto the bus and hoped I was going to make it through the day. We were off to see the Galleria Borghese, an art gallery. The good thing was that it was going to be inside, so no sun! Still, I was feeling pretty bad by the time we got there, but seeing my favorite tour guide cheered me up.

The museum has a wonderful policy of only letting a few people in at a time for a limited time, so I was able to actually appreciate the art rather than me experience at The Vatican where there’s so many people you don’t have the room to fully appreciate everything. There were some good painting there including my favorite with a woman and a unicorn. The real masterpieces are the marble sculptures by Bernini. First there’s the sculpture of Apollo and Daphne which is beautiful! It’s amazing the detail present. The other Bernini sculpture I was impressed with, even though the tour guide didn’t find it all impressive, was the sculpture of Hades and Persephone. It’s famous because Hades fingers look at if they are indenting in her flesh – and this is made out of marble! It is exquisite. The detail and movement you get from the piece is breathtaking.   Soon, our time was up. I was able to pop in the gift shop and pick up a few postcards of my favorite pieces before heading back to the bus.





The bus took us to a church close to your hotel that had another Bernini statue. Both the statue and the church were amazing to see, but I think I may have had my fill of churches. If I was a religious person I would get more out of it, but since I’m not it all is a bit distant.

The bus took us back to the hotel for afternoon classes, but first there was lunch. Although I had been feeling better during the Galleria Borghese I still wanted to take it easy. I went to lunch at the restaurant with some Spalding students and had just a plain salad. Mary had gotten a cheeseburger and French fries and they were so good I had to get them as well so I had an extended lunch, but it was something I definitely needed.



Afternoon classes included workshop, where my work was discussed, and our Faculty Book-in-Common discussion. Work shopping a piece is a strange yet wonderful experience. It’s amazing to me to have so many people read your piece and point to the same thing or argue about a certain character. My group was really great and pointing out things that I hadn’t thought of, but once they pointed it out I agreed completely. They also helped me fix some things that I wasn’t happy with and picked up on some things that were really strong. Spalding is a great place for your first work shopped piece. I felt safe. I didn’t feel attacked, but yet still got the criticism that I needed. I wish I had made it clearer that my selection was from chapter 2 because a lot of their questions had to do with information that was presented in chapter 1. Overall, I got a lot out of it and it makes me want to write again.

That desire to write has really grown more and more as I’ve been here. Everyone, the Fellini lecturer, the tour guides, the faculty, the students, all refer to us as writers. It’s not something I had really considered before. I thought of writing as more of a hobby, or something that I did on the side. But I’m really starting to believe in myself as a writer and think of myself as a writer. This residency has given me that.

Our discussion about Love and Gelato with the YA group was really good. It’s nice to be able to be critical of a book while at the same time enjoy the book.

For dinner, I stayed in the hotel and had another plate of fries and a large bottle of water. Dinner conversation was interesting and it was a great end to the night. Of course, the night wasn’t really over yet. I still had a revision to do.

After your piece is workshopped, you have to revise just a page to share with the group the next day. I didn’t have a lot of time to work on my revision, so I wanted to choose a scene that was easy to make changes and be the most beneficial to me. I choose my volleyball scene and worked on it most of the night, but I still wasn’t quite done with it when I went to bed knowing I had to finish it in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment