Wednesday 6 July 2016

First Gelato Experience




After getting back from Ostia Antic, Mary and I went to dinner. I had the mushroom risotto which was pretty good. The mushrooms here are so different than what I’m used to. They look a little slimy, but they taste really good and pick up all the flavors of the rest of the dish. The rice was nice and tender. My only complaint was that it was a little oily and I needed a starch to soak it up. This isn’t Olive Garden: no unlimited breadsticks here.

Libba and Joe joined us for dinner, but Joe left before the real fun began. The three of use, Mary, Libba, and myself ordered gelato. At first Libba wasn’t sure what type of gelato she wanted. She had had pistachio for lunch and so thought she would try the lemon and our waiter, Marco, was not impressed. After Mary and I had ordered our flavors, strawberry and pistachio, Libba changed her mind and got a mix of vanilla and pistachio. Marco approved of her choice.



When the gelato came to the table, Libba only had vanilla and asked for the pistachio to be added. Unfortunately, it wasn’t actually vanilla she had had. It was the lemon flavor. At the end of the meal, as Marco was clearing away the dishes he asked us how it was and Mary and I could not contain our laughter. Libba had to explain what had happened and Marco was not happy. Libba tried to tell him it was okay but he wasn’t having it. He marched back and called the kitchen right away.  



What a story to have along with my first gelato. The gelato itself was creamy and had a great flavor, but honestly I could take it or leave it. I still want to try the “real” stuff and see if I can taste a difference, but nothing beats this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment