Saturday 2 July 2016

July 2 - Colosseum and the Roman Forum




The Colosseum!

Today was the day I saw the Colosseum and Roman Forum. It was an early morning, but that meant it was cool at the beginning of the day. Our bus took us around the north side of the Colosseum (the beautiful side) and then around the back to drop us off. We split into two groups. We were told some history while we waited for our headsets to arrive. The headsets were great once we got them because we were able to hear everything the guide was saying without being directly in front of him, something which has been a problem in the past when I’ve been on tours. We were told though that we had to hide out headsets as we entered the Colosseum because we didn’t have the right tickets. Luckily I didn’t end up in Rome prison.
Gladiators used to fight behind me

To say that the Colosseum is huge is an understatement. The architecture is superb. It’s hard to imagine it being built so long ago when we have nothing like that in the states.  Two outer walls collapsed on the south side from people taking the iron/metal away from the supports. The north side still exists because the Pope could see it from his window and wanted to keep it.


On the lower level

Inside the colosseum we were able to the inside on several different levels. There is so much history there you can feel it radiating from the walls. We were also able to get close to the lower level to see where the stage would have been where the gladiators would have fought. It’s hard to even explain how amazing it was.

The Roman Forum in the background

After the Colosseum, we went to the Roman forum which was also amazing although more in ruins than the Colosseum. We saw where the vestal virgins lived and where Julius Caesar’s body was burned after he was stabbed to death by the senators. It’s hard to imagine people milling about there listening to political speeches.

Inside the Forum
We also had the chance to go to a church which opened only two months ago. It was beautiful and had some frescos on the wall.


We ended out tour by walking up a flight of stairs to see the capital hill with a giant statue in the center of Marcus Aurelius. It’s a replica of the original bronze statue, but the bronze statue is the only bronze statue that wasn’t melted down but is now housed safely in a museum.
What made my trip to the Colosseum and Form so memorable was the red umbrella tour guide. He was hilarious and very to the point. Always standing in the shade while still allowing us our picture time, but he wasn’t afraid of leaving you behind. He really made the visit worthwhile.

The afternoon I had my first workshop, since the other one had been more of an introduction, and I was a little nervous. I wanted to make sure I was contributing. I felt better as the two hours went on and thought I had some good comments. I guess I was nervous because in the previous workshop I had said I would have liked to have known that the piece I was reading was Creative Non-Fiction and I felt like I was kind of jumped on- like why did it matter what genre is fell under- so going into today I was a little apprehensive, but that apprehension soon melted away. There was a lot of stimulating conversation. Conversation which I’ve missed since Warwick, so it’s nice to have it again. I feel complete.

Our final lecture of the day was on the Italian sonnet which I found quite interesting. There were some really cool things to think about with the progression of the sonnet and seeing how it has been transformed through the ages.

My evening closed with a sit down meal with more Spalding students at a nice restaurant right across the street from the previous night’s dinner. They had very friendly waiters. I ordered ravioli with ricotta and spinach in tomato sauce. It was super good – not too cheesy.

Dinner

As dinner wrapped up I was feeling very well. I think I had too much heat in the morning so I returned to my room to cool down, relax and catch up on work. As I finish this I’m watching Italy take on Germany for Euro 2016, a game not only our tour guide mentioned but also our waiter.

Italy just scored a goal and we could hear the horns and shouts of joy from the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment