Friday 8 July 2016

July 8 - Classes with dinner at Alessio


Today was an early start, well I guess not too early, but it felt like it. I did not want to get up this morning. The only reason I got up so early was because I had to finish my revision and print it out before the 9am workshop. It didn’t take me too long to finish up my last line, but I was at least content with the result. It may need more revision. I went down to breakfast and struggle through a piece of toast and half a peach. I hopped around from table to table and people came and went. Thankfully, I ended up sitting next to Shawn who gave me some pepto-bismal which really seemed to help. It got me through the day today with limited episodes of illness.

Revision workshop was simple. You passed out your revised work and then we went around in a circle, each reading our revised work and had nice comments to say. I took out the really violent bit in my revision which made for a more lackluster reaction, but I think it really improved the piece and I know how I can use those changes later on.

Next up was a Faculty lecture on point of view. It was interesting to see the ways in which different types of point of view can be used depending on the purpose of the piece. That lecture lead into the expository writing lecture which I was only there to observe. It helped to get us ready to write our critical essays we are required to write each semester on the books we read. It’s a basic five paragraph essay with an argument and support for that argument. So what I teach to my kids all the time! I feel pretty confident in my ability to write them.

Our fully packed morning was followed by a mini YA workshop over lunch. I’m glad we did it, but I just wish we were all more prepared for it to really make it useful for everyone. I think I got some really good feedback from the students in the other workshop. Lunch ran really late and we ended up having to charge the meal to the room in order to go to the next lecture which we were late for. But it was a great plate of spaghetti!

The first afternoon lecture was on going to conferences. Interesting information and good to have, but a little premature at this moment. Although it would be great to go to one and talk about my dissertation from Warwick. It got me thinking. After the lecture was the student readings where I got up and read five poems I’ve written. I got really good feedback and had a few people teared up. It was an amazing experience to share something with an audience. I was nervous but at the same time not nervous at all. I didn’t shake as much as I thought I would have. It was also nice to share the poems. Maybe one day I’ll even publish them!

Then we had a panel on publishing which again was very interesting but a little early in the process. I really need to finish a manuscript. Still, good things to keep in mind as I continue on this endeavor. And the day ended with our last set of student readings. It’s great to hear everyone’s work. The sheer variety is astounding.

With classes complete, it was time for dinner. A group was formed, Shawna (needing cheering up since her husband left today), Maureen, Mary, Melissa, and Libba (who joined us later) all headed around the corner to Alessio. I had eaten their before for the YA dinner, but tonight was really great. I didn’t feel bad the entire meal which was nice and Shawn, who has eaten there like six times including lunch today, was basically on a first name basis with the waiter. He even knew her order. He was a great waiter and kept coming to check on us and saying Ciao repeatedly. They didn’t have their special gnocchi, so I got the ricotta and spinach ravioli which was okay but not the best meal.  The service made up for it. And the 2 shots of limoncello didn’t hurt. What’s the perfect end to an Italian dinner? Gelato! We stopped at Café Washington on our way home. I got two scoops, one of cookies and crème (Stracciatella) and one of chocolate (cioccolato)!

Tomorrow we have our free day. My morning is free, finally a day to possibly sleep in, and then their is the lake tour in the afternoon with a wine tasting. I’m determined to go on this trip. I’ve been very good these past few days. Trying to eat bland things and staying out of the sun. Plus the pepto-bismal has really helped. Anytime my stomach starts to feel a little off a chew tablet and I’m fine. I’m not letting my $78 go to waste. I don’t have anything planned for the morning and I should probably just continue to take it easy in preparation for the afternoon trip. I may go to the Rome Museum which is just up the street if I do anything.  I do have one more assignment to complete.
Tomorrow night I’m supposed to be going to the Trevi fountain with Mary, but she hasn’t been feeling good so I’m not sure if that’s going to happen or not.

My time here is almost over. We have one more day of classes and our farewell dinner. I have five more days in Rome before I’m on a plane back to the states.

No comments:

Post a Comment