Friday 13 July 2018

Getting to Japan

To say I was abnormally anxious about this trip to Japan is an understatement. Considering that I don't know the language and have not visited Asian countries (excluding India) I have been uncomfortable.

I got to the airport with plenty of time to get check in, through security, and wait. My plane, it turns out, was running late. First it was just 10 minutes late, but then it quickly increased to 25 minutes late. With only an hour stop over in Vancouver, I was worried. I even went up to the front desk to ask if I was going to make my connection and they assured me that I would.

I waited in growing anticipation. When the plane finally did come, I went on and found my seat. Usually, I immediately put on my seat belt, so I can grip the arm rests in anticipation of getting the airplane into the air. My seat belt wouldn't close. I tried and tried. I almost cried. Finally, I got it to click for take off, but had to take it off as soon as we could, so I could breathe. It was a less than pleasant experience. Thankfully, I had taken my anxiety medication and didn't have a complete meltdown. The seat belt never went back on.

The plan itself was one of those really small ones with propellers. The ones that seem most likely yo fall from the sky. It stayed airborne, but didn't make up much time. Landing in Vancouver I had little time to get to my flight. I had to walk off the plane to the tarmac, through a tunnel, up an escalator, stop to get my passport checked, and race to the gate seeing on the way that my flight was in final boarding. I was not wearing my running shoes, but was able to make it onto the plane. Wheezing, heart racing, I found my seat next to Mary and sat down trying to catch my breath. (At least the seat belt fit better on this flight.) This is why I always like long layovers.

I had learned from the first flight that the anxiety medication did wonders for me, and I did not deny myself on this flight. I talked with Mary, listened to my book, and slept. I actually slept on a flight. It was glorious. Towards the end of the flight I wasn't feeling great, but I took out my necklace fan and than helped immensely.

Arriving in Osaka, I survived immigration and customs without too much trouble. I did have to step out of line because I didn't have a telephone number written down. It was just a matter of following the crowd through the maze. Lots of animated characters told you what to do. I liked the Mario Nintendo character's welcome sign the most. A quick shuttle ride to the main terminal and we hooked up with everyone else and were quickly ushered onto a bus.

It's hot here and I have resigned myself to being sweating and gross. Yay for traveling!

We got to our hotel and were welcomed by WorldStrides who already had our keys. I was finally able to breath a sigh of relief. I had made it. Making my way up to my room, I found the room a nice size. The bathroom is a little small and you have to step up into it which is strange, but the shower felt like the best shower in the world.

The toilet has all these buttons for different functions. The beds are hard, but I found a nice squishy pillow in the cupboard that helped. The view from our room is not a brick wall, so that is an improvement from previous years. I have a view of the street and train.

I felt great after my flight and wasn't really ready to go to bed. Nope, I needed dinner first. Mary, her roommate, and I ventured out of the hotel to try this chain curry place. I was really good. I got a tomato and asparagus curry with regular spice. It was just what I needed. I puttered around my room after dinner unpacking and flipping through channels waiting to see if Kasia would arrive before finally turning in.

I woke up early in the morning from a somewhat nice night of sleep. About the same about of sleep I get at home. I finished unpacking/organizing my stuff so it wasn't all over the place for when Kasia arrives.

On the docket for today is breakfast at the hotel, a cab and Samurai for a day experience with Melissa, lunch, walking tour of the Nishiki market, and welcome dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment