Saturday 26 July 2014

Gidget goes Hawaiian: Surfing 101

Bruised, battered and bloody, that's how I am after my surfing lesson this morning. Our appointment wasn't until 9 so we had a nice relaxing morning before arriving 20 minutes early. We had to wait even longer becuase there was group that had some kind of miscommunication and had to be picked up, but once we were all there the lesson commenced. We started with a land lesson. They showed us their four step process to stand up on the board, and then each of us had to try it. I was able to do it and did good with my back let out to the side but this was on land. After everyone had a go we all loaded up into the cars and headed for the beach. They gave us rash guards and reef shoes, threw the surfboards in the water and we all started to paddle out. 
Paddling is an intense work out. I was the last one paddling out becuase I had a hard time gaining any momentum, but I made it out there! We got some pretty good waves. My first time with a waved not go so well. I paddled out. It when the guy said "up" I was meant to put my hands on the rails at my ribcage, slide my knees forward, place my hands in front of me on the board, bring my left leg forward and then roll my right foot up to be in a standing position. I did none of that. As the words left the instructors mouth I forgot everything he had told me. I glided for a bit before falling off. I caught two good waves and was able to go up onto my knees but I never got into a standing position. Even just on my knees the feeling was amazing (and I know this sentence can be taken out of context but let's keep our minds out of the gutter and on surfing please). The one thing I noticed about the two good waves I caught was that I had a good mount on the board (again context). The rest of the waves my mind went blank and I merely glided. 
I didn't have a lot of downtown in between waves because the time it took me to get back to the launch point, it was my turn again. When I did have downtime I was getting beaten up by the reef, close lined by other surfboards, or inhaling large quantities of salt water through my nose! I got scrapped up pretty bad. Three cuts on my left leg and both knees scrapped. 

All in all it was a good experience, and although I wasn't able to stand up on the surfboard, I got on one and caught a few waves. 

Surfing was followed up with a pizza at Wolfgang Pucks Express and for me it was a trip to the gift shop while it was a trip to the beach to sunbathe for Dad. 
The afternoon was spent lounging around and resting up, and the night was finished up at the Moana Terrance, a restaurant with live music. We both thought about getting a "Hawaiian" drink but they all have rum and pineapple juice, not a combination that seemed appealing. I eventually went with a British meal of fish and chips with a Guinness on Hawaii. 

1 comment:

  1. Paddling is difficult for sure. I spent most of my tries surfing just hanging out in the water next to my board. But it looks like your trip is off to an amazig start!

    ReplyDelete